What you told us
The Centre is engaging with a wide range of stakeholders. Key messages from our stakeholder activities to date can be summarised as follows:
- Work with the sector, rather than ‘do to’
- Keep children, young people and families at the heart
- Have a strong, realistic focus on implementation and improving practice, allowing for local context and nuance
- Explore what works to create the conditions for good social work
- Help to foster a culture of learning
- Be aware of the ‘joins’ with other agencies
- Learn from others, and do not duplicate
- Offer challenge, including to Government.
Download the stakeholder engagment report (October 2017 – June 2018) Stakeholder engagement report Oct 2017 – June 2018
Always ask – would this be good for my own child?
Young person on the Centre’s children and young people’s panel
This approach – working with those at the frontline rather than doing to or for – will ensure that the Centre is relevant and that it supports the development of the high quality practice that children, young people and their families need and deserve.
Steve Walker, Director of Children’s Services, Leeds City Council
Good practice travels with nuance – you cannot simply ‘cut and paste’ from one place to another.
Sarah Caton, Chief Officer, Association of Directors of Children’s Services
Children and young people’s views
Twenty children and young people met for the first time in February 2018. They shared their experiences of social care, and their views on what social workers need to learn about through a series of images that they created on the day.
View slideshow of images: Young people’s views on social care and skills needed by social workers
Download a pdf of the images: Young people’s views on social care and skills needed by social workers
Read a blog about the event: The importance of pizza and co-production by Lucy Milich, Children’s Practice Development Manager, SCIE
The developing Centre will continue to engage with the sector in the next phase of development (July 2018 to March 2019), through:
• Work with the selected partner sites
• Further meetings of the advisory groups established in this phase
• An ongoing programme of visits and meetings.
We are committed to working closely with the sector on the ongoing design and develop the Centre as an organisation, and how it will operate during the development phase and beyond.