Find out more about our accredited training for social workers
Evidence, Learning and Methods (ELM) training
The Evidence, Learning and Methods (ELM) training is an integral part of What Works for Children’s Social Care’s commitment to encouraging an increasingly evidence-minded sector. It aims to support social workers in becoming more confident in their understanding of different research methods, their strengths, weaknesses and uses.
The training is accredited by the CPD Standards Office and can be logged as CPD with Social Work England. It is provided free of charge to registered social workers.
ELM training is a three-part course, which must be completed sequentially. Parts one and two are suitable for all social workers – from newly qualified to service leaders. The third part will be most relevant for senior leaders and commissioners.
Reserve your free place online. Training will be delivered online and in person (subject to COVID-19 restrictions) – please book for the relevant option and date.
In order to ensure an interactive learning environment, places are limited. We operate a waiting list for each session. If you are no longer able to attend a session, please let us know as soon as possible so we can give your place to another person.
In this round, we have set up specific sessions for local authorities involved with our Social Workers in Schools (SWIS) programme. These are labelled below.
Introduction to the Evidence Journey: (one day) explores practical ways research can be immediately incorporated into social work practice.
- Thursday, 5th August 2021 9.30-16.00 (online) (SWIS session)
- Thursday, 16th September 2021, 9.30-16.00 (online)
- Thursday, 7th October 2021, 9.30-16.00 (online)
- Thursday 14th October 2021, 9:30-16:00 (online)
- Wednesday, 20th October 2021, 9:30-16:00 (online)
- Thursday, 21st October 2021, 9:30-16:00 (online)
- Thursday, 4th November 2021, 9:30-16:00 (online)
Critiquing Evidence: (one day) focuses on developing your ability to critique evidence and understand the impact this awareness has upon practice.
- Thursday, 19th August 2021, 9.30-16.00 (online) (SWIS session)
- Thursday, 30th September 2021, 9.30-16.00 (online)
- Thursday, 28th October 2021, 9:30-16:00 (online)
- Wednesday, 3rd November 2021, 9:30-16:00 (online)
- Thursday, 11th November 2021, 9:30-16:00 (online)
Please ensure you have booked a place on ‘Introduction to the Evidence Journey’ for a date before your scheduled date for ‘Critiquing Evidence’.
Evaluating Evidence: (two days) aims to increase knowledge and confidence in applying and evaluating research in practice across all levels
Please ensure you have completed both ‘Introduction to the Evidence Journey’ and ‘Critiquing Evidence’ before you are scheduled to join the ‘Evaluating Evidence’ session.
If there are no suitable dates, please check back regularly, as we will be running ELM throughout the year and adding more dates in the future.